qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu

From: Dennis Luehring
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 08:06:30 +0200

Am 18.07.2014 00:22, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
On 17/07/14 07:43, Dennis Luehring wrote:

> Am 16.07.2014 00:21, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
>> At the moment my work is focused on getting the basic system emulation
>> up and running, so I haven't spent much time looking at the graphics
>> side at all.
>>
>> I have noticed that the kernel falls back to the dummy console during
>> boot, so perhaps it is unable to probe the VGA device. If you append
>> vga=ask to the command line, are you able to find a framebuffer choice
>> that works?
>
> the vga=ask parameter is x86 only
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/07/msg00872.html

Really? That's a shame. The problem I'm looking into at the moment is
related to incorrect BAR ranges properties for the ebus and VGA which
means that the properties in the device tree don't always match up.

Fortunately Linux tends to probe/configure everything itself which is
why it boots; the BSDs start parsing various BAR properties to find out
what resources have been assigned by OpenBIOS and then fall over when
the properties don't quite line up with how the BARs are programmed. It
could be that maybe the difference is also causing the VGA probe to fail?

If any of the Debian people are interested in helping and have a debug
kernel available, I'm sure it wouldn't take someone who has basic SPARC
Linux kernel knowledge too figure out what's happening (and even better
you can boot the kernel directly in QEMU with the -kernel parameter
rather than having to keep building a custom image).

why not join address@hidden and ask for help directly?