qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migrate, inconsistent machine types - new machine

From: Alex Bligh
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migrate, inconsistent machine types - new machine type to fix?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 13:15:41 +0100

On 22 Jul 2014, at 12:54, Amit Shah <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sigh; please read both my replies.
>
> The only difference between qemu-kvm-1.0 and qemu-1.0 is the presence
> of the pci-assign section in qemu-kvm-1.0.  All other output from
> qemu-1.0 -> qemu-2.1 is equally applicable to qemu-kvm-1.0 ->
> qemu-2.1.
> I know that; but you brought up the comparison of your experiments
> with the output of the checker.  I just pointed out the checker
> flagged both those things you saw (and a few others too).

Apologies for my naivety here as it's the first time I've looked
at this stuff. So sorry if I'm getting the wrong end of the stick.

However, am I correct in assuming your JSON checker is only
checking for the field structure, and not for things like
changed defaults? For instance the cirrus vga video ram size
appears to be different between qemu-kvm-1.0 and qemu-1.0,
but this isn't something brought up in your email highlighting
the difference between a 2.1->qemu-1.0 comparison and a
2.1->qemu-kvm-1.0 comparison. I know you haven't directly
compared qemu-1.0 and qemu-1.0-kvm, but if this difference
does exist (which I think it does) I'd expect to see it
in the list of differences (i.e. your second email), if your
tool looks at that too.

--
Alex Bligh