qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migrate, inconsistent machine types - new machine

From: Amit Shah
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migrate, inconsistent machine types - new machine type to fix?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:17:17 +0530

On (Tue) 22 Jul 2014 [13:19:43], Alex Bligh wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2014, at 13:12, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > There's something similar going on with PIIX4_PM but I don't remember
> > the details.
>
> From memory:
>
> * qemu-1.0 uses the v2 format
> * qemu-kvm-1.0 uses the v3 format but advertises itself as v2
> * qemu-2.1 uses the v3 format

Yea; I vaguely recall that happening.  Quite unfortunate.

> I don't quite understand whether Amit's checker is designed to pick
> up all three situations as different, or whether it (quite reasonably)
> expects people to play ball with version numbers.

This is what it says:

Section "PIIX4_PM" Section "PIIX4_PM" Description "piix4_pm": minimum version
error: 2 < 3

Which means qemu-2.1 expects a minimum version of 3, but qemu-kvm-1.0
is sending it version 2.  Now even though they may be compatible,
version-number-wise they're not, as the dest qemu will also complain
about.

                Amit