qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-2.1 0/3] Last minute patches

From: Igor Mammedov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-2.1 0/3] Last minute patches
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 15:31:49 +0200

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 14:59:26 +0200
Juan Quintela <address@hidden> wrote:

> Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On 25 July 2014 15:22, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> Since Igor hasn't sent his patches, and I'm leaving the office, I pushed
> >> this to
> >>
> >>    git://github.com/bonzini/qemu.git tags/for-upstream-full
> >>
> >> I don't know about tests/acpi-test-data/pc.  It makes sense that this
> >> patch should modify something there, but:
> >>
> >> * "make check" passes
> >>
> >> * the test warns even before patch 1, for both the DSDT (modified by the
> >> patch) and SSDT (which this series doesn't touch at all)
> >>
> >> * I cannot get it to pass, except by blindly copying the "actual" output
> >> on the "expected" files
> >>
> >> * mst is on vacation and Marcel is off on Fridays
> >>
> >> Based on my understanding of the problem, it is not possible to fix the
> >> bug without hacks like this one, and even reverting all patches in this
> >> area would be more risky.
> >
> > Hmm. I'm not really sure what the right thing is, so what
> > I'm planning to do is:
> >  * just apply the qemu-char fix for now
> >  * not tag -rc4 today
> >  * see if things are clearer on Monday (I see Igor has now
> >    sent out a patchset)
> >  * tag -rc4 Mon or Tues
> >  * slip the release date a few days (not a big deal, I think)
>
> I am reading both patch-sets.
>
> I preffer very much Paolo solution to Igor one.
>
> But I have to say that I don't understand PATCH 1 (neither before or
> after the change).  Solution does what we should do, that is generate
> the size that destination is expecting, and no simply blindy accept
> packages that are smaller.
>
> The compatibility bits of PATCH2 look ok (that ones, I can kind of
> understand them).
>

> Igor?
These patches work for 2.0->2.1 for -M pc-1.7 (Ubuntu case), however they
doesn't
for 1.7->2.1 (RHEL7 case).
Also chasing exact size is a bit problematic considering that different iasl
versions produce differently sized AML output.

As far as I understood from chat on #qemu,
Michael is going to pick-up this series + extendable RAMBlock series +
disabling PCI bridge hotplug patch and may be cook additional one to make
working
backwards migration.