qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Cc'ing emails [

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Cc'ing emails [
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2014 17:43:13 +0200

Michael Tokarev <address@hidden> writes:

> Please stop Cc'ing me emails sent to, at least, address@hidden

I'll try to remember, but in general you can't expect everyone to keep
tabs on who wants and who doesn't want to be copied.

> I'm about to filter personal emails which are also sent to
> some mailinglists I receive.  I'd not do that, because this is
> a good practice to Cc someone like that for various really
> important or urgent emails, and if I to apply such a filter,
> these urgent emails will be filtered too, obviously.
>
> I'm not sure how people treat these cases or deal with them.
> We are subscribed to, in particular, qemu-devel@, and active
> maintainers look there too, so receive more than one copy of
> many emails.

I believe fighting the established convention to copy is futile.  I
embrace it instead, and make it help me prioritize my reading.  Copy me,
and I'll at least skim cover letters and other thread-starters to
determine whether I need to follow this thread.  Don't copy me, and I'll
at best glance at the subject in passing.

Automatic filing into folders and marking copies so I don't have to mark
them read twice helps.

The additional traffic is a drop in a bucket.

> It is becoming worse.  With get_maintainer.pl pulling addresses
> of people who made changes or commits to files by default,
> contributing to the project becomes a bit dangerous.  Because
> as a result, once you fix something, you're essentially being
> subscribed to a spam list, because other contributors start
> Ccing you for the patches with which you have absolutely nothing
> to do, and if a discussion emerges, you can't opt out of it
> anymore (especially for patches which raise hot discussions).
> So I'd rather think twice before contributing anything...

That's sad.