qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core

From: Erik Rull
Subject: [Qemu-devel] QEMU with KVM does not start Win8 on kernel 3.4.67 and core2duo
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2014 13:19:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I did already several tests and I'm not completely sure what's going wrong, but
here my scenario:

When I start up QEMU w/ KVM 1.7.0 on a Core2Duo machine running a vanilla kernel
3.4.67 to run a Windows 8.0 guest, the guest freezes at boot without any error.
When I dump the CPU registers via "info registers", nothing changes, that means
the system really stalled. Same happens with QEMU 2.0.0.

But - when I run the very same guest using Kernel 2.6.32.12 and QEMU 1.7.0 on
the host side it works on the Core2Duo. Also the system above but just with an
i3 or i5 CPU it works, too.

I already disabled networking and USB for the guest and changed the graphics
card - no effect. I assume that some mean bits and bytes have to be set up
properly to get the thing running.

Any hint what to change / test would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Erik