qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] aarch64 & gdb: warning: while parsing target descriptio

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] aarch64 & gdb: warning: while parsing target description (at line 1): Could not load XML document "arm-core.xml"
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 12:18:49 +0100

On 7 August 2014 11:42, Richard W.M. Jones <address@hidden> wrote:
> (gdb) set architecture aarch64
> The target architecture is assumed to be aarch64
> (gdb) target remote tcp::1234
> Remote debugging using tcp::1234
> warning: while parsing target description (at line 1): Could not load XML
> document "arm-core.xml"
> warning: Could not load XML target description; ignoring
>
> Note that I've set the architecture to `aarch64', so it looks as if
> gdb is requesting and/or qemu is sending the wrong name of the XML
> file.

Works for me:

e104462:trusty:linux-clean$ gdb-multiarch
GNU gdb (Ubuntu 7.7-0ubuntu3.1) 7.7
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.
For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word".
(gdb) set arch aarch64
The target architecture is assumed to be aarch64
(gdb) target remote :1234
Remote debugging using :1234
0x0000000040000000 in ?? ()
(gdb)

We only send arm-core.xml for 32 bit CPUs: are you sure
you didn't select a 32 bit CPU either explicitly or by default
on the QEMU command line? Note that '-machine type=virt'
defaults to a Cortex-A15 even in qemu-softmmu-aarch64
(this is unfortunate but fallout from the fact that we started
the virt model with the A15. Maybe we should make it not
have a default and require a CPU specification...)

thanks
-- PMM