qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] Adding -cdrom, -hd[abcd] and -drive file=...

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/4] Adding -cdrom, -hd[abcd] and -drive file=... to Q35
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 12:31:18 -0400

On 08/19/2014 12:12 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* John Snow (address@hidden) wrote:

<snip>

The changes appear to work well, but where I'd like some feedback
is what should happen if people do something like:

qemu -M q35 -drive if=ide,file=fedora.qcow2

The code as presented here is not going to look for or attempt to
connect IDE devices, because it is now looking for /AHCI/ devices.

What happens if you try it - does it just silently ignore that -drive?
The ideal would be for something to moan about unused drives so people
realise why it's broken; but I seem to remember form a previous discussion
it's hard to do on all platforms.

With this patch, piix would continue to ignore AHCI and Q35 would ignore IDE. piix and Q35 both can be corrected to look for either/or IDE/AHCI and whine if you mix them. Q35 and piix both could be made to throw an error if you specify drives that the board doesn't pick up (AHCI in the case of piix if you have not specified that device, legacy IDE in the case of Q35 until we add legacy mode support and the user specifies that mode.)

I suggested to Markus in a different reply that I could add a little flag to the drive list to help identify if any drives don't get picked up at board spin-up time... But it sounds like it might not be quite so simple.

I will wait to add error handling modes until there is perhaps some consensus that the basic approach here is desirable.

--
—js