qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] issue: linking 64bit glib when building for cpu=i386

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] issue: linking 64bit glib when building for cpu=i386
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2014 09:46:54 +0100

On 22 August 2014 09:34, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 09:28:05AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> Yes, but this should be done by the i686-w64-mingw32-pkg-config
>> wrapper IMHO. (That's how I have my mingw setup configured,
>> anyway.)
>
> Sure if your distro wants to rebuild the pkg-config binary for each
> arch that is a valid approach too, but it is by no means required
> in order to get non-native builds working.

It's just a wrapper script, not a complete fresh binary. The
point is that all the compilation tools needed for a build for
$TRIPLET are $TRIPLET-toolname. That's what QEMU's
configure script expects and it's easy for users.

>> Interestingly, Debian's cross-compile pkg-config wrapper
>> (aarch64-linux-gnu-pkg-config etc) sets PKG_CONFIG_PATH,
>> not PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR. Maybe that's a bug, but it works...
>
> Yes, that would be a bug. Consider if you have mistakenly only installed
> the 64-bit dev package for libusb and not the 32-bit package. Now the
> 'libusb-1.0.pc' file will only be present in the directory
> /usr/lib64/pkgconfig but not in /usr/lib/pkgconfig.

Mmm, this does seem to be a bug. I'll see if it's been
reported to Debian yet...

-- PMM