qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What tests should "make check-block" run?

From: Jeff Cody
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What tests should "make check-block" run?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 11:22:31 -0400

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:05:56PM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 02:16:36PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think variants are useful.  If you need control, use ./check.
> >
> > That seems pretty undiscoverable to me. I know about 'make check',
> > and 'make check-help' tells me about 'make check-block', but how
> > do I find out about 'check' ? I just had to bounce through the makefile
> > and a wrapper script to even figure out which directory it lives in,
> > and there's no help text or usage comments in it...
>
> http://qemu-project.org/Documentation/QemuIoTests
>
> Any suggestions for making it more discoverable?

A couple of suggestions:

1.) Add a README file to the 'tests' directory

2.) Make the 'tests' directory more hierarchical.  It is not obvious
that 'qemu-iotests' (and the other tests) are something different than
the giant ball of .c files that is also in the tests directory. I
think it would be ideal to have the 'tests' directory contain 2 files
(Makefile, README), and then sub-directories.