qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user: enabling binfmt P flag

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] linux-user: enabling binfmt P flag
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 10:28:15 +0200

Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote on 2014/08/29 20:01:12:

> What I really would like is a way for the kernel to tell the
> interpreter binary what particular mangling it's chosen to do
> of the command line arguments. Then we could have one
> binary that coped in both situations and when run via the
> command line, and it would just come down to "recommend
> OP and tell people/distros to make sure to update the
> QEMU binaries in any chroots they have when they make
> that change". Unfortunately the kernel doesn't
> do that and it would need a kernel change to fix it :-(

I think QEMU should request such a change, you have a good reason for it.
There will be more flags in the future which will make it impossible to
do the right thing automatically. I would like to see a flag which strips
away the qemu-ARCH from argv, much like the other interpreters do.

Perhaps similar to AT_EXECFD? An AT_BINFMTFLAGS which holds the flags(or
an empty string when no flags)

 Jocke