qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] please start submitting gpg-signed pull requests if you are

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] please start submitting gpg-signed pull requests if you aren't already
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 12:32:29 +0100

Hi; for a while now we've been slowly switching over to
signed pull requests for merging code into qemu master.
The current situation is that we would prefer signed tagged
pull requests but are still accepting old ones, and many
submaintainers are now using signed requests routinely.
I'd like to move that forward a notch by strongly encouraging
those of you still submitting old style pull requests to start
using gpg signed requests instead. (I've cc'd people
who've recently sent me a non-signed pull request.)

This isn't a huge difference from existing workflow; you
need to create a gpg key if you don't already have one,
and then use "git tag -s" to create a signed tag for the
commits you want merged, and then use the tagname
in the 'git request-pull' command instead of the branchname.
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/howto/using-signed-tag-in-pull-request.html
has a reasonable summary. Feel free to ask for advice
if you're having difficulty figuring out if you're doing it
right.

There's no obligation yet for me to have signed your key
or have a trust path to it (and I appreciate that it's
geographically or logistically tricky in some cases).
However I would in general like to do so where possible.
I expect that we'll organise a key-signing party at KVM
Forum again (Dusseldorf, Oct 14-16). I'm also going to
be at Linaro Connect (Sep 15-19, Burlingame, California)
so if any submaintainers are too then drop me a mail.

thanks
-- PMM