qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc64 hang (possibly virtio related?) with 2.

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-system-sparc64 hang (possibly virtio related?) with 2.1
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 14:12:45 +0100

Hi all,

I've had a couple of reports of virtio hangs with qemu-system-sparc64 from QEMU 2.1 and I've recently been given access to one of the systems in question for testing since I've been unable to reproduce it locally myself.

After some initial investigations, it seems that the following factors are involved:

1) qemu-system-sparc64 is started with a virtio-enabled kernel and a virtio block device with the following command line:

qemu-system-sparc64 -M sun4u -nographic -net nic,model=virtio -net user -drive file=qemu-sparc64.img,if=virtio,index=0 -kernel qemu-sparc64-archive-kernel

I've been unable to reproduce the hang with the standard cmd646 IDE interface.

2) The host system is generally under high load at the time (the particular system I'm looking at seems to run periodic build scripts which make the system fairly unresponsive at times)

The test case involves extracting a large .tar.gz file on the virtio device repeatedly until the point at which it hangs.

3) The hang appears to be random in that whilst extracting the large .tar.gz file, the console output stops at different positions each time.

I can immediately think of 2 possibilities: the first is that possibly something is happening to the -nographic console since extracting a large .tar.gz file generates a lot of output; however the second report I've had of this was just a freeze during the Debian installer which makes me think this is less likely.

The second possibly is something related to virtio, which seems more likely since if I restart qemu-system-sparc64 with the same image after a hang then I see reports of bad/missing inodes on the console which implies that something has gone wrong writing to the disk.

Fortunately I can reproduce the issue with a debug-enabled build of qemu-system-sparc64, and I've posted a backtrace obtained during the hung state at http://www.ilande.co.uk/tmp/sparc64-gdb-bt.txt. I can't see anything too obvious, other than that the ppoll() could possibly be waiting for a bad file descriptor?

Many thanks,

Mark.