qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF, Q35 and USB keyboard/mouse

From: Gabriel L. Somlo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] OVMF, Q35 and USB keyboard/mouse
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 19:21:24 -0400

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 11:34:03PM +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:
> >> With Chameleon (and SeaBIOS), I see all three UHCIs (with no attached
> >> devices), and EHCI (with the now-high-speed keyboard and mouse).
> >>
> >> With OVMF, I have EHCI with the high-speed (and working)
> >> keyboard+mouse, but ONLY ONE UHCI device (UHCI3). UHCI1 UHCI2 do not
> >> get detected.
> >>
> >> Obviously, since QEMU was routing the slow keyboard+mouse to UHCI1,
> >> which for some reason gets masked when OVMF is used, things weren't
> >> working.
> >>
> >> So now the question is, how come Fedora can find UHCI 1&2 on Q35+OVMF,
> >> but OS X can't, and what can we do to OVMF (and/or QEMU) to fix it.
> >>
> >> Obviously, Jan's patch set woud paper over the issue, as the keyboard
> >> and mouse would go to ehci, but there's still the issue of the
> >> disappearing UHCI's :)
> >

> XNU also populates its device tree based on the DSDT. Maybe there's a
> subtle difference there?

This was the low hanging fruit, so I checked it first :) Pulled the
DSDT using the OS X version of "DSDTEditor" (found on insanelymac)
on both the Chameleon q35 version which had all three UHCIs and from
the OVMF q35 version which only showed UHCI3. The two DSDTs looked
absolutely identical (no output from diff)...

Thanks,
--Gabriel