qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [INVITE] OVMF BoF session at the KVM Forum 2014

From: Ard Biesheuvel
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [INVITE] OVMF BoF session at the KVM Forum 2014
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 07:17:02 -0700

On 18 September 2014 05:18, Laszlo Ersek <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/18/14 13:44, Andreas Färber wrote:
>> Hello Laszlo,
>>
>> Am 18.09.2014 um 10:23 schrieb Laszlo Ersek:
>>> I've been made an offer that I couldn't refuse :) to "organize" a Birds
>>> of a Feather session concerning OVMF at the KVM Forum 2014.
>>>
>>> Interested people, please sign up:
>>>
>>>   http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/KVM_Forum_2014_BOF#OVMF
>>
>> Nice idea. Your summary mentions only ia32 and x86_64 - I would be
>> interested in an update on OVMF for AArch64 - there seemed to already be
>> support for ARM's Foundation Model but not yet for QEMU.
>
> We've successfully UEFI-booted
> - GNU/Linux guest(s) on
> - upstream edk2 (*) and
> - upstream qemu-system-aarch64 with
>   - TCG on x86_64 host,
>   - KVM on aarch64 host (**)
>
> (*) Ard's patches for upstream edk2 are in the process of being tested /
> merged.

They have been merged as of yesterday.

> (**) Ard's patches for the upstream host kernel (== KVM) have been...
> ugh, not sure... applied to a maintainer tree? Ard? :)

Some are in kvm/master, which I think means to should go into the next
3.17-rc, although I haven't seen much movement there.
Some other bits are being taken through the kvmarm/queue branch, so
they should arrive by 3.18-rc1

> So, it works (as far as I tested it myself on TCG, and heard reports
> about it on KVM), but right now you need to apply a handful of pending
> patches manually.
>
> We can certainly talk about Aarch64 at the BoF, but then Ard should
> co-organize. No good deed goes unpunished, as ever! :)

I do appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it will be feasible
for me to come to Duesseldorf.