qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] NBD TLS support in QEMU

From: Wouter Verhelst
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] NBD TLS support in QEMU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 15:50:57 +0200

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 01:00:04PM +0200, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> Il 01/10/2014 22:23, Wouter Verhelst ha scritto:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 03:26:09PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> >> Tunneling the entire protocol inside an SSL connection doesn't fix that;
> >> if an attacker is able to hijack your TCP connections and change flags,
> >> then this attacker is also able to hijack your TCP connection and
> >> redirect it to a decrypting/encrypting proxy.
> >>
> >> I agree that preventing a possible SSL downgrade attack (and other forms
> >> of MITM) should be high on the priority list, but "tunnel the whole
> >> thing in SSL" doesn't do that.
> >
> > So, having given this some thought, I wanted to come up with a spec just
> > so that we had something we could all agree on. As part of that, I had a
> > look at qemu-nbd, and noticed that it uses the "oldstyle" handshake
> > protocol (on port 10809 by default -- ew, please don't do that).
>
> Can you use new-style handshake with a single unnamed export?  Export
> names are a useless complication for qemu-nbd.

Not currently, but I don't think you need that. You could have a default
name, which would be used if no name was otherwise specified. It's not
much of a stretch to make that name part of the protocol spec, either.

--
It is easy to love a country that is famous for chocolate and beer

  -- Barack Obama, speaking in Brussels, Belgium, 2014-03-26