qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] WiFi inside VMs?

From: Васил Рангелов
Subject: [Qemu-devel] WiFi inside VMs?
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 22:06:08 +0300

Hello.

I'd like to ask if it would be possible to add support for at least one
model of WiFi device on guest machines?

I realize the feature request has been discussed previously (here:
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2007-03/msg00575.html ), but
my reason for wanting it is slightly different than the reason back then...

There's this program for simulating networks you've definitely heard of (I
mean... It's been mentioned on this list...) - GNS3. It currently can't
emulate Wireless networks, exactly because Qemu (nor any other emulator for
that matter) supports WiFi devices inside VMs.

The old discussion above points out how it would be problematic to bridge a
real WiFi adapter to the virtual one, but as far as GNS3 is concerned,
that's not really a problem, since the backend in its case needs to be a UDP
tunnel. As long as the WiFi frames can be encapsulated into a UDP tunnel,
GNS3 could theoretically provide the connection between two WiFi devices
inside a simulated topology.

Even if such a feature's usefulness is only limited to GNS3, that's still
IMHO a great deal of usefulness, and therefore it should be a worthy goal to
pursue.

So... Pleeeease? Pretty please?

Thanks,
Regards,
Vasil Rangelov

(P.S. I'm not subscribed to this list, for... let's say "noise" reasons;
Consider adding me to CC when replying to this thread.)