qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Fullscreen Bug with GTK

From: Cedric Sodhi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Fullscreen Bug with GTK
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 22:13:42 +0200

On Thu, Oct 09, 2014 at 01:30:00PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 10/06/2014 07:24 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> >>
> >> Oh, missed that detail.  /me recommends submitting the patches to
> >> qemu-devel then (and cc me so I don't miss them).
> >
> > ...with the appropriate signed-off-by lines, which are
> > missing from the patch in the bug.
> >

> The patches in the original report were not meant to be submitted as is, and
> instead I hoped it would start a discussion, because they depend on APIs only
> available with gtk3.8, and the fallback loses some usefulness.
>
> Also the example patch isn't complete, since I think we would want to install
> all the accelerators on the parent window, rather than just the fullscreen
> one. Then in fullscreen mode, every accelerator would continue to work, which
> matches SDL behavior IIRC. I think if someone fleshed out my patch examples it
> should be fine for them to use their own Signed-off-by. I don't have any plans
> to submit a patch myself in the short term.
>
> Also there's other possible approaches. Like disabling accelerators entirely
> when in fullscreen mode, and instead use a hiding toolbar like virt-manager
> and virt-viewer do. danpb pointed out that gtk 3.10 has a GtkRevealer widget
> that could probably be used for that without having to import the autodrawer
> code that virt-viewer uses.
>
> - Cole

Two things: First of all I think we can safely assume that said GTK
version is supported by everyone who uses that version of Qemu.

Second, I think your patch is just perfect the way it is. It seems
perfectly reasonable to have ONLY the Fullscreen shortcut work in
Fullscreen and nothing else. I don't see any point in "zoom in" or
"mouse grap" to function in fullscreen mode. Fullscreen is to simulate
the environment as convincingly as possible in my opinion (at least
that's what I'm trying to achieve).

The least thing I would want is an auto-hiding menubar, if you're
thinking of one which shows up when you move the cursor to the top.
That's as unpractical as it may get (I find those "auto" gimmicks pretty
annoying everywhere. Gnome's magic shell corner is irritating enough)

Please sign off the patch, in my opinion it's perfect and in any case
it's better than the way it currently is.

Thank you.