qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Crashes of qemu-system-mips64 and qemu-system-mips64el

From: Aurelien Jarno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Crashes of qemu-system-mips64 and qemu-system-mips64el
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:23:24 +0200

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 03:53:35PM +0200, Torbjörn Granlund wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   I have installation running in qemu-system-mips with weeks of uptime
>   without any problem. I have however tried the above with QEMU 2.1, and
>   I have been unable to reproduce the issue.
>
> I have never had these problems with qemu-system-mips. They only happen
> with a 64-bit kernel on qemu-system-mips64 or qemu-system-mips64el.

Sorry I meant qemu-system-mips64.

>   It's now running for more than 48 hours, and hasn't crashed yet.
>
> Which version of qemu did you use for this experiment?  Please confirm
> that you used a qemu in the range I claim crashes quickly.

I am using 2.1.2 under GNU/Linux.

> This crashes for me with qemu 1.7.x through 2.1.0 under GNU/Linux and
> FreeBSD.  Since my reports about this issue have not until now sparked
> visible activity, I haven't tested any newer qemu release.  (I have
> tried every qemu release in that range but not all (qemu release) x (OS
> flavour) combinations.)
>
> (I have a mips64 and a mips64el system running under qemu 1.6.2; the
> current uptime is 52 days.  These systems are used for large daily
> tests, thus are quite stable.)
>
>   Could you give us more details about your host, especially if it is a
>   32-bit or a 64-bit one? Also a cat /proc/cpuinfo would be useful as some
>   instructions are enabled or not depending on the host support.
>
> All my hosts are 64-bit x86.
>
> I don't have the broken stuff set up any longer (2.5 month later) but
> since my many attempts over the years trying to get a qemu post 1.6.x to
> work I on many different pieces of hardware, the exact x86 hardware is
> almost certainly irrelevant.  My hardware platforms are quite diverse.

I don't think it's irrelevant, that's why I asked. If you don't provide
this information, we won't be able to check which code paths are
involved

Given you are the only one to reproduce the issue, please provide a
backtrace of a crash so that we can proceed further.

address@hidden                 http://www.aurel32.net