qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered

From: Alex Bennée
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 15:02:40 +0100

Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:

> In my experience, too many files are not covered by MAINTAINERS.
> scripts/get_maintainer.pl falls back to git then, unless you say
> --no-git-fallback.  Copies sent there tends to annoy their recipients
> without accomplishing all that much.
>
> Two obvious improvements:
>
> * Easy: Flip scripts/get_maintainer.pl's default to --no-git-fallback.
>   I'll post the obvious patch, please raise your objections there.

As it happens I do that in my .git/config, but...

> * Harder: improve MAINTAINERS coverage.

Well one problem is no MAINTAINER == no obvious tree to take you
patches. This is my main bugbear. I have a few patch series that touch a
smattering of files (e.g. logging improvements) that don't fall under
one particular sub-system but are probably a little too broad for the
trivial tree.

> Where are the unmaintained files?  Top-scoring directories outside
> tests/ and include/, files in subdirs not counted:
>
>     #files   directory
>     84  68%  .

I suspect there is a bunch of general infrastructure bits that has this
sort of property. Maybe some effort be made to move related bits into
sub-directories (with MAINTAINERS) where they are less likely to fall
in-between the cracks?

<snip>

> Ideas?  Takers?

My 0.2c ;-)