qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and ARM support

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu and ARM support
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 21:32:27 +0000

On 26 October 2014 16:01, Kostas Alexiou <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am using the latest stable version 2.1.2 of qemu and I noticed that some
> commands which are fully supported for the i386 architecture, in ARM
> emulation they are not offered. I am referring specifically to "info tlb"
> and "info mem", as I am mainly interested in the MMU of ARM and memory
> mappings.
>
> Probably this is asked a lot but I didn't find anything relevant as I was
> searching, so is there a possible way to use info tlb for my arm emulation?
> Is it under implementation or should I work on this on my own?

These commands require architecture specific implementation, and
nobody has done the work that would be needed to support them for ARM.
As far as I know, nobody is currently planning to do that work either.
You're welcome to have a go at it.

I would suggest that you start by factoring out the current
tlb_info() implementations from monitor.c (which are governed
by a collection of #ifdefs for which target is being compiled)
and make these be QOM methods (function pointers in struct CPUClass).
Then you can add an ARM implementation of that method. We shouldn't
be adding more target-ifdefs to common code. Similarly the mmu_info()
implementations can be factored out too.

thanks
-- PMM