qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to run "qemu-system-aarch64" without "-kernel" para

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to run "qemu-system-aarch64" without "-kernel" parameter?
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 10:43:42 +0000

On 27 October 2014 09:40, Sudheesh PM <address@hidden> wrote:
> I amusing qemu-system-aarch64 (version 2.1.0) to run aarch64 on ARM64
> machine using openstack.
> I am facing difficulty in passing "kernel" parameter. How to boot a virtual
> machine without passing "-kernel" option?
>
> I want to use only  "- drive file=rootfs.img" for booting.  please help.

This isn't currently supported; you must use -kernel. (Also,
you'll need a -device virtio-blk-device... argument to go with
that -drive option to tell QEMU where to plug your disk in.)

(We are working on support for booting a UEFI bios, and when
that is landed you'll be able to say -bios uefi.bin -drive...
-device virtio-blk-device... to get the UEFI blob to read
the disk image. But that's not supported yet.)

thanks
-- PMM