qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Dirty block tracking : External file

From: Jd
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Dirty block tracking : External file
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 09:52:55 -0700

Hi
We are looking for dirty block tracking feature in qemu/kvm for implementing more efficient incremental backup. I saw some patches around it, but from the conversation could not figure out if it is complete or not. If it is complete, can some one point to the branch / label from which I can get it.

    Could of questions around the feature.

* Does this work with qcow format only ? Or for any format ? Can I use it with ceph, gluster, etc,,etc.

* How does dirty block tracking to file get affected by snapshots ? One would assume that it would mark all the blocks changed since tracking begun, irrespective of snapshots pull / rebase....etc. This way one might copy more blocks than necessary, but is accurate. And this allows the user to do different snapshot operations irrespective of backups which is a big thing from users perspective.

Thanks
/Jd