qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] nbd-server / monitor to copy files/directory in to running

From: Jd
Subject: [Qemu-devel] nbd-server / monitor to copy files/directory in to running VM.
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 10:02:21 -0700

Hi
I see an option to start nbd-server from running VM via qemu monitor. This is very useful. The option seems to allow sharing the disk with read/write permission. Can I really export and use the nbd-served disk from running vm in read/write ? Isnt there a risk for corrupting the file system ?

qemu monitor seems to have command to open, write, close commands. I tried them and I could create a file (after going through encoding). How can I create a directory using this ?

I read little bit about live-guestfs, but it needs another agent in to the VM. Also, is this ready for prime time ? Any plans to have this in the qemu guest agent. This way we dont have to have multiple agents required in the guest.

  Is there any other ideas on copying files in to a running VM ?

Thanks
/Jd