qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] nbd-server / monitor to copy files/directory in to runn

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] nbd-server / monitor to copy files/directory in to running VM.
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:20:28 +0000

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 10:02:21AM -0700, Jd wrote:
>   qemu monitor seems to have command to open, write, close commands. I tried
> them and I could create a file (after going through encoding). How can I
> create a directory using this ?

Do you mean the code in qga/?  That is the QEMU guest agent.  It does
not have a command to create directories.

>   I read little bit about live-guestfs, but it needs another agent in to the
> VM. Also, is this ready for prime time ? Any plans to have this in the qemu
> guest agent. This way we dont have to have multiple agents required in the
> guest.

live-guestfs?  Never heard of it.

Do you mean libguestfs?  That's a tool for disk image manipulation.
Very powerful but works on offline guest disk images.  It does not work
while the guest is running.

>   Is there any other ideas on copying files in to a running VM ?

The same network transports that you would use on a physical machine:
HTTP, CIFS, NFS.

Or an emulated device like a USB Mass Storage Device (like hot-plugging
a thumbdrive into a computer) or the experimental USB Media Transfer
Protocol emulation.

Stefan