qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] the need for if=none for -drive?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] the need for if=none for -drive?
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2014 10:21:13 +0300

All "modern" 2-way drive/device specifications need to explicitly
specify if=none for the drive for it to not be used in the default
ide bus implicitly.

But how about using some if=unspecified implicitly for all devices
which don't specify if=, pick any devices from that list which are
referenced from -device, and only add those which left (plus the
ones with explicit if=ide) to the default ide bus?

The change should be strighforward, the only (maybe significant)
prob I see is a need to reorder -device/-drive initialization in
vl.c.  We might pick them up in drive_check_orphaned() too.  Or,
we can walk over -devices when adding -drives with if={unspec,explicit}.

(this is a sort of a followup to 6b9e03a4e759876, "qtest/bios-tables:
Correct Q35 command line", but ofcourse it's a topic by its own).

Thanks,

/mjt