qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 22:16:22 +0000

On 13 November 2014 21:51, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 13 Nov 2014, at 23:38, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> On 13 November 2014 21:23, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> ...I'm confused, I think. I thought 'gdb' was an option you added?
>
> that's correct, but only part of the whole image, in fact I added
> "-semihosting-target auto|native|gdb"; however my patch only changes the
> destination of the semihosting calls, not the actual behaviour.
>
>> Can you explain what the three options you're proposing do, and
>> which of them is the behaviour we have today?
>
> the behaviour is exactly the one you presented, 'auto' is the actual
> behaviour, 'native' is via qemu, 'gdb' is via... gbd. :-)

Right, but what does it mean to say 'gdb' that's different from
'auto' ? What happens in that case if you don't have a gdb
attached?

> p.s. I'm a bit puzzled by your patch submission procedure
> (the Eclipse CDT team uses Gerrit, and things are more or
> less automated), manually preparing patches and sending them
> to a mailing list seems quite tedious...

I use a flow like:
 git format-patch -o ~/my-sent-patches HEAD^
 # check that the ~/my-sent-patches/0001-whatever.patch looks ok
 git send-email address@hidden ~/my-sent-patches/0001-whatever.patch

but that does require you to have set up git send-email
so it knows how to send emails.
(You can probably do it in one command but I happen to have
my main dev machine and the machine I send email from being
different, so I copy the patchfiles around in the middle.)

-- PMM