qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] runtime configurable semihosting
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 23:16:20 +0000

On 13 November 2014 22:23, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2014, at 00:16, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Right, but what does it mean to say 'gdb' that's different from
>> 'auto' ?
>
> auto sends either to gdb or qemu, gdb always sends to gdb, native always to
> qemu.
>
>> What happens in that case if you don't have a gdb
>> attached?
>
> according to my tests, nothing.

Oh, I see now. gdb_do_syscall() will return doing nothing if
gdbserver_state is NULL (so "gdb" will throw away semihosting
requests until a gdb is eventually connected, at which point
we start to honour them). Yes, that makes sense as a behaviour
(though 'auto' and 'native' are going to be the major uses).

>> I use a flow like: ...
>
> thank you, I'm trying to figure out the details (Signed-off-by,
> cover letter, etc)

The Signed-off-by is just a matter of putting that line in your
commit message. It's pretty much the only thing we absolutely
have to insist on, since it's a statement that you're happy
for the code to go in and have the legal right to contribute it.
Most other things we can fix up formatting details if needed.
You don't need a cover letter unless you're submitting a series
with more than one patch in it.

-- PMM