qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Tunneled Migration with Non-Shared Storage

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Tunneled Migration with Non-Shared Storage
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 22:38:28 +0100

On 18/11/2014 21:28, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> This seems odd, since as far as I know the tunneling code is quite separate
> to the migration code; I thought the only thing that the migration
> code sees different is the file descriptors it gets past.
> (Having said that, again I don't know storage stuff, so if this
> is a storage special there may be something there...)

Tunnelled migration uses the old block-migration.c code.  Non-tunnelled
migration uses the NBD server and block/mirror.c.  The main problem with
the old code is that uses a possibly unbounded amount of memory in
mig_save_device_dirty and can have huge jitter if any serious workload
is running in the guest.

Paolo