qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MinGW build

From: Liviu Ionescu
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MinGW build
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 20:28:37 +0200

On 01 Dec 2014, at 20:42, Stefan Weil <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here are some more hints which might help people to get cross
> compilation for Windows running. http://qemu.weilnetz.de/debian/
> includes some packages which I made from the GTK all-in-one bundles and
> also packages for libfdt which I compiled from the sources.

unfortunately my mind is not that sharp to get the hints, I saw just a list of
packages, without any explanations on why I should use them. :-(

I think the same problem applies to the existing so called 'documentation',
which is not only out of date, but very cryptic, and very less procedural.

as you could see, my style of documentation, even when intended for my own use,
should allow anyone, regardless of any specific project experience, to complete
the tasks by simply following the instructions with copy/paste.

---

in addition to the problems noted in the previous message (regarding the old
glib, the imprecise configure behaviour when running with cross builds), I
noticed another problem:

it looks like the the MinGW-w64 toolchains that come with Debian are configured
with '--enable-sjlj-exceptions', which is the old way of processing exception,
while the MinGW (32) toolchain is configured with '--disable-sjlj-exceptions
--with-dwarf2', which is the modern way of processing exceptions.

I don't know if this has any impact on your project, but I would say that the
MinGW-w64 project is not configured right, and needs extra care when using
(special sjlj DLLs).

regards,

Liviu