qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] suggestion for the QEMU advent calendar

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] suggestion for the QEMU advent calendar
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 10:28:46 +0100

Am 08.12.2014 um 17:54 hat Fabian Greffrath geschrieben:
> PS: I am a bit shocked by the fact how complicated it is to install GRUB
> on a disk image. And, John, even if the approach you outlined worked, I
> guess GRUB will find its device.map puzzled when it will get rebooted
> from inside an image file instead of an actual hard-drive partition the
> next time.

As long as you don't say which version of GRUB, it's easy. Install GRUB
Legacy, copy stage[12] and menu.lst to the image and do this in the GRUB
shell:

    device (hd0) $IMAGE_PATH
    root (hd0,0)
    install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu.lst

Or boot from a floppy/CD with GRUB in the VM and run the same thing
without the "device" command.

Syslinux is relatively easy as well. Just avoid GRUB 2 if you want to
set up disk images from the host. I've done it before, but it's ugly...

Kevin