qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Gives user ability to select endian format for video di

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Gives user ability to select endian format for video display - fixes Mac OS X guest color issue.
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2015 22:06:25 +0000

On 5 January 2015 at 21:27, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
> This patches does the following:
>
> - Allows user to select endian format of video display.
> This allows Mac OS X to be used as a guest and show all its colors
> correctly. Just add -display-endian-big to the command line to use
> this feature.

I don't understand the purpose of this option. There are two
video display endiannesses I can think of:

(1) The guest video device endianness. We should just get this
correct according to the definition of what the hardware does
(and it's not dependent on which host UI we're using)
(2) The host graphics framebuffer endianness. We should
automatically determine this by either asking the host's
GUI about it or by just knowing it if the host is always one
way. (This isn't dependent on what guest is running, either.)

So what is this option doing? It shouldn't be needed for either
(1) or (2)...

thanks
-- PMM