qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] VersatilePB bug (or undefined behaviour)

From: Marc Marí
Subject: [Qemu-devel] VersatilePB bug (or undefined behaviour)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 21:04:17 +0100

Hi

I was investigating a bit with a versatilepb machine, and I was trying
to boot a Linux system with a root file system through NFS. It worked
with Linux 3.2, but it didn't work with any later Linux version. This
was the error:

[    0.594471] smc91x: not found (-16).
[    0.595555] smc91x: probe of smc91x.0 failed with error -16

(Error -16 is EBUSY).

I debugged the error, and I found that the region was being marked as
"System RAM".

The problem was mine, I specified (because I did not change if from
previous boots) 1G as memory for the Versatile machine, which only has
256 MB of RAM

Should this be a bug, or is undefined behaviour? I think it is not very
difficult to check for the memory the user requests so it can be
limited to 256 MB and issue a warning if it is exceeded.

Thanks
Marc