qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] VersatilePB bug (or undefined behaviour)

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] VersatilePB bug (or undefined behaviour)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 20:58:02 +0000

On 27 January 2015 at 20:04, Marc MarĂ­ <address@hidden> wrote:
> The problem was mine, I specified (because I did not change if from
> previous boots) 1G as memory for the Versatile machine, which only has
> 256 MB of RAM
>
> Should this be a bug, or is undefined behaviour? I think it is not very
> difficult to check for the memory the user requests so it can be
> limited to 256 MB and issue a warning if it is exceeded.

It's user error to specify more RAM than the board can handle.
I tried some years ago to get a patch added which allowed boards
to say how much RAM they could deal with so we could report this
more helpfully, but it got shot down as insufficiently generic
(not dealing with NUMA, weird boards with memory holes, boards
that only want you to add RAM in 512K chunks, etc, etc) and I
gave up.

-- PMM