qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] balloon vs postcopy migrate

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: [Qemu-devel] balloon vs postcopy migrate
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 17:09:26 +0000

Hi,
  Andrea pointed out there is a risk that a guest inflating its
balloon during a postcopy migrate could cause us problems, and
I wanted to see what the best way of avoiding the problem was.

Guests inflating there balloon cause an madvise(MADV_DONTNEED) on
the host, marking pages as not present, that will potentially trigger
a userfault, that we are using in postcopy to detect pages that need
to be fetched from the source.

In theory, at the moment guests *should* only ask for a balloon
inflation if they've been asked to do so by the host; however there
are no guards for that, and it's been suggested giving the
guest more freedom might be a good idea anyway.

My alternatives seem to be:
   1) Stop servicing the message queue from the guest so
     that we just don't notice the inflate messages until
     afterwards.  (Easy for Qemu, not sure how the guests
     will like an unserviced queue).

   2) I could keep servicing the queue and ignore the messages
     (Easy for everyone, not very nice in actual used memory -
      does it cause any long term problems other than that?)

   3) I could keep servicing the queue but put the messages
     in a list somewhere that replay after migrate has finished.
     (That list sounds bounded only in a very large way?)

Thoughts?

Dave