qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio Disk drivers and Microsoft clustering

From: Fam Zheng
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtio Disk drivers and Microsoft clustering
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2015 09:18:15 +0800

On Fri, 02/06 11:23, Fam Zheng wrote:
> On Thu, 02/05 15:29, massimo buscato wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > About virtio-scsi driver:
> > There are many problem to use it on windows 2012 cluster service.
> >
> > Every time you try to validate a Virtio disk under W2012 cluster tool,
> > you have this errors:
> >
> > with VIRTIO DISK device:
> > "The port driver used by the disk does not support clustering. Disk
> > bus type does not support clustering. Disk partition style is MBR.
> > Disk type is BASIC."
> >
> > with VIRTIO SCSI DISK device:
> > "The port driver used by the disk does not support clustering. Disk
> > bus type does not support clustering. Disk partition style is MBR.
> > Disk type is BASIC. The required inquiry data (SCSI page 83h VPD
> > descriptor) was reported as not being supported. "
>
> Hi Massimo,
>
> I don't know much about Windows cluster service but I think this error is
> because virtio-scsi is a direct attached controller, like explained in:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2839292?wa=wsignin1.0

Discussed a bit with Massimo off-list, this feature basically means two systems
can see the same lun at the same time, and one of them accesses it. When one
system is down, the other takes over. In VMware a disk with RDM (raw device
mapping) could be added, so I think scsi-block and/or scsi-generic should work
too.

If I understand correctly, Massimo uses image based scsi-disk.
scsi-{block,generic} requires a scsi target on host side. In order to use an
image file, we could use iscsi service to export the host image and use the
iscsi driver in QEMU. Not sure if there are simpler ways.

Fam