qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] coverity: Improve and extend model

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/4] coverity: Improve and extend model
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:11:45 +0100

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> \>> It seems like Coverity Scan doesn't like the new model.  Possibly the
>>> fault of the third patch.
>>
>> Works for me with a local 7.0.3 installation.  Which I just realized is
>> outdated.  I'll recheck with 7.6.0.
>>
>>>                            Will check (for now I'm still running scans
>>> with the old model).
>>
>> Appreciated.
>
> Yes, the last patch seems to be the culprit.  It failed immediately with
> the __coverity_mark_as_afm_freed__(ptr, "g_free") model;

Any diagnostics?

Works for me locally with 7.6.0, and matches the reference manual's
examples for the ALLOC_FREE_MISMATCH checker.

>                                                          it's been
> running for a while without it even though it's not done yet.
>
> Perhaps we can do something like this:
>
> /* Some helpful comment here.  */
> #if 1
> #define AFM_g_free              AFM_free
> #else
> #define AFM_g_free              "g_free"
> #endif

Yes.  If you want me to write the helpful comment, I need to know what
exactly goes wrong.

The alternative is to revert the patch for now.

Aside: would be nice if Coverity pre-defined a symbol when
ALLOC_FREE_MISMATCH is enabled, it would let me enable support for the
checker exactly when it's wanted.