qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] Balloon malfunctions with memory hotplug

From: zhanghailiang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [BUG] Balloon malfunctions with memory hotplug
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2015 14:27:05 +0800

On 2015/3/2 14:22, Amit Shah wrote:
On (Fri) 27 Feb 2015 [12:09:20], zhanghailiang wrote:
On 2015/2/27 3:26, Luiz Capitulino wrote:
Hello,

Reproducer:

1. Start QEMU with balloon and memory hotplug support:

# qemu [...] -m 1G,slots=2,maxmem=2G -balloon virtio

2. Check balloon size:

(qemu) info balloon
balloon: actual=1024
(qemu)

3. Hotplug some memory:

(qemu) object_add memory-backend-ram,id=mem1,size=1G
(qemu) device_add pc-dimm,id=dimm1,memdev=mem1

4. This is step is _not_ needed to reproduce the problem,
    but you may need to online memory manually on Linux so
    that it becomes available in the guest

5. Check balloon size again:

(qemu) info balloon
balloon: actual=1024
(qemu)

BUG: The guest now has 2GB of memory, but the balloon thinks
      the guest has 1GB

One may think that the problem is that the balloon driver is
ignoring hotplugged memory. This is not what's happening. If
you do balloon your guest, there's nothing stopping the
balloon driver in the guest from ballooning hotplugged memory.

The problem is that the balloon device in QEMU needs to know
the current amount of memory available to the guest.

Before memory hotplug this information was easy to obtain: the
current amount of memory available to the guest is the memory the
guest was booted with. This value is stored in the ram_size global
variable in QEMU and this is what the balloon device emulation
code uses today. However, when memory is hotplugged ram_size is
_not_ updated and the balloon device breaks.

I see two possible solutions for this problem:

1. In addition to reading ram_size, the balloon device in QEMU
    could scan pc-dimm devices to account for hotplugged memory.

    This solution was already implemented by zhanghailiang:

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2014-11/msg02362.html

    It works, except that on Linux memory hotplug is a two-step
    procedure: first memory is inserted then it has to be onlined
    from user-space. So, if memory is inserted but not onlined
    this solution gives the opposite problem: the balloon device
    will report a larger memory amount than the guest actually has.

    Can we live with that? I guess not, but I'm open for discussion.

    If QEMU could be notified when Linux makes memory online, then
    the problem would be gone. But I guess this can't be done.

Yes, it is really a problem, balloon can't work well with memory block
online/offline now.
virtio-balloon can't be notified when memory block online/offline now,
actually, we can
add this capability by using the exist kernel memory hotplug/unplug notifier
mechanism. (
just a simple register_memory_notifier().)

The Linux driver can come to know, but it can't tell the host
out-of-band about it.  A new feature / config option can be added so
that a guest can update the host on what the current available RAM is.

This is a feasible scenario. Maybe Luiz could consider this. He is
working on  it now.

2. Modify the balloon driver in the guest to inform the balloon
    device on the host about the current memory available to the
    guest. This way, whenever the balloon device in QEMU needs
    to know the current amount of memory in the guest, it asks
    the guest. This drops any usage of ram_size in the balloon
    device

    I'm not completely sure this is feasible though. For example,
    what happens if the guest reports a memory amount to QEMU and
    right after this more memory is plugged?

Hmm, i wonder why we notify the number of pages which should be adjusted to
virtio-balloon,
why not the memory 'target' size ? Is there any special reason ?

This is just how the design / code was done for balloon.  I've
proposed we move to a target-based solution rather than the current
way.  While drafting the new virtio spec, this was considered, but I

OK, it is really a good idea to redesign virtio-balloon which is target-based.

lost track of it.  The proposal was to just ditch the current balloon,
and come up with a new one with a saner design.  Don't know who's
keeping track of that, though.

:(

BTW another problem for Luiz's option 2 here is we don't want to wait
for the guest to reply before making decisions.  E.g. the guest could
be in S3 mode, and we may wait indefinitely for a reply, blocking
everything (the situation is slightly better with more threads, but in
older days, blocking for the guest to reply for balloon stats meant
the entire qemu froze till the guest replied.  That's the reason the
feature was disabled).

Got it. thanks.

For linux guest, it can always know exactly its current real memory size, but
QEMU may not, because
guest can do online/offline memory block by themselves.

If virtio-balloon in guest know the balloon's 'target' size, it can calculate
the exact memory size
that should  be adjuested. and also can do corresponding action (fill or leak
balloon)
when there is online/offline memory block occurred.

    Besides, this solution is more complex than solution 1 and
    won't address older guests.

Another important detail is that, I *suspect* that a very similar
bug already exists with 32-bit guests even without memory
hotplug: what happens if you assign 6GB to a 32-bit without PAE
support? I think the same problem we're seeing with memory
hotplug will happen and solution 1 won't fix this, although
no one seems to care about 32-bit guests...

Not just 32-bit guests; even 64-bit guests restricted with mem= on the
cmdline.  I know we've discussed this in the past, and I recall
virtio-balloon v2 was going to address this all; sadly I've not kept
uptodate with it.

                Amit

.