qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] clang warnings too noisy

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] clang warnings too noisy
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 10:50:19 +0100

Am 07.03.2015 um 10:04 schrieb Stefan Weil:
Am 06.03.2015 um 20:06 schrieb Stefan Hajnoczi:
Hi Peter,
You are rejecting pull requests that produce warnings under clang.

clang 3.5.0 on Fedora 21 produces so much noise that it's extremely
tedious and error-prone to try finding relevant new warnings.

Are you using a different clang version which produces fewer warnings?

Is anyone working on making QEMU build cleanly under clang? Under gcc
people regularly submit patches to keep the build clean (e.g. recent
gcc 5 fixes).

Currently I'm not happy wrangling with clang when very few people seem
to use it or care enough to make QEMU build cleanly.

Compilation with different compilers is still very important to detect hidden bugs. Here is the latest example which I found because of your e-mail:

block/iscsi.c:1329:20: warning: comparison of array 'iscsi_url->user' not equal to a null pointer is always true [-Wtautological-pointer-compare]

The code is wrong (I'll send a patch), and the code where it was copied from is wrong, too (see https://github.com/sahlberg/libiscsi/pull/146).

I use clang on Mac from time to time and used it some time ago on Linux.

Regards
Stefan

My clang build (Debian Jessie clang version 3.5.0-10 (tags/RELEASE_350/final) (based on LLVM 3.5.0)) just found one more bug and also an unused variable (patches already sent to qemu-devel), therefore
yes, we need it.

Stefan