qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] gsoc idea

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] gsoc idea
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 10:51:48 +0100

On Sa, 2015-03-07 at 03:39 +0100, Kővágó Zoltán wrote:
> hi,
>
> i'm thinking about doing a gsoc this year, and i'm interested if you
> have any opinions on my idea. (i hope i'm not late for this...)

Should not be too late for this, deadline is a week out.

> currently the audio system in qemu is limited to 2 channels (stereo)
> sound. also it mixes all sound (if there's more than one sound card)
> into a single stream, you can't send them to different physical sound
> cards for example. if you need something like that, you'll have to
> either pass-through a sound card (but then you can't use it from the
> host), or use pulseaudio/jack/etc to send the audio over the network
> (which is problematic in case of a windows guest)

> imho the audio subsystem should be rewritten to support any number of
> audio channels. also, the current global mix everything together into a
> single output method

I don't think you have to put *everything* upside down.  As far I know
the mixing and the two channels are not designed into the audio core
code.

> (along with it's environment variable based
> configuration, since it only allows global options, not per-device)
> should be replaced, with a system similar to how network or drives works
> (i.e. each virtual sound card would be connected to an audio device,
> with their own options)

For the audio backend configuration a serious makeover would be very
good indeed.

> is it a viable idea, or i should scrap it altogether?

Sounds good, go ahead, I can mentor this.

cheers,
  Gerd