qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2015 14:49:42 +1000

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 06:16:54AM +0300, Sergey Fedorov wrote:
> On 20.03.2015 20:44, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On 20 March 2015 at 17:25, Merten Sach <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> I'm interested in participating in this years edition of Google Summer of
> >> Code.
> >> Initially I wanted to propose the implementation of ARMv7
> >> virtualization extensions. I know this is not supported at the moment.
> >> Also based on the documentation I found I thought it is still untouched.
> >> However, when I looked at git log I saw that there is some preparation
> >> to include EL2 support (LPAE, nested paging preparation, etc).
> > Yes, we have put in some initial foundational changes but
> > actual support is still missing. Edgar, can you remind me
> > whether you have some pending patches for EL2 support still?
> >
> >> Is there demand for a GSoC project to further ARM virtualization
> >> extension support?
> > We would certainly like to see virtualization emulation
> > supported in upstream QEMU. I think my main areas of
> > concern would be:
> >  * working with any existing code that Edgar has up his sleeve
> >  * having a project plan that divides the work up into small
> >    but coherent chunks that can be landed upstream incrementally
> >    (to avoid the failure mode of "work all summer but don't
> >    get it finished, and so don't have anything concrete
> >    to show for it at the end")
> >
> > thanks
> > -- PMM
> >

> Hi!
>
> I am currently working on AArch64 EL2 support. There is a plan to submit
> the changes to the community. Merten, IIUYC, you are going to support
> only AArch32 EL2?

Hi all,

Sergey, that's good to hear!

Peter, Yes I have quite a bit of patch material but unfortunately a lot of
it is not in a state for upstreaming. I know I've promised to clean
it up and submit more but I have not been able to find time for it,
sorry about that...

Patches that I planned to send are around hyp timers, misc bugfixes
here and there and maybe the GIC virt extensions.

The 2 stage MMU code I have is shamefully ugly but it kind of works
so it is useful for understanding some of the problems that need to be
solved. (works well enough to boot XEN and KVM guests).

Sergey and myself communicated a bit off-list a while back ago
and he expressed interest in AArch64 EL2 and my code. Sergey, it would be
very interesting to hear more details on how you are doing on that?

Cheers,
Edgar