qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Sergey Fedorov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 07:30:07 -0700

On 20.03.2015 21:49, Edgar E. Iglesias wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sergey, that's good to hear!
>
> Peter, Yes I have quite a bit of patch material but unfortunately a lot of
> it is not in a state for upstreaming. I know I've promised to clean
> it up and submit more but I have not been able to find time for it,
> sorry about that...
>
> Patches that I planned to send are around hyp timers, misc bugfixes
> here and there and maybe the GIC virt extensions.
>
> The 2 stage MMU code I have is shamefully ugly but it kind of works
> so it is useful for understanding some of the problems that need to be
> solved. (works well enough to boot XEN and KVM guests).
>
> Sergey and myself communicated a bit off-list a while back ago
> and he expressed interest in AArch64 EL2 and my code. Sergey, it would be
> very interesting to hear more details on how you are doing on that?
>
> Cheers,
> Edgar

Hi Edgar,

I successfully reproduced your results with running KVM on your patches.
Then I decided to start implementing the features without looking at
your code so that I can get somewhat different view on how to implement
that. Then I plan to compare my and your code and make a final version.

Now I've got patches that allows to boot Linux kernel with KVM enabled.
So KVM initialization is happy. Basically, I added some EL2 registers
required by KVM and adjusted page table walk to support EL2 translation
regime. A colleague of mine has prepared a patch to support
virtualization extensions in generic timer.

Before sending patches here, I will do my best to carefully compare my
final code against yours and credit you appropriately in that patches
for any derivatives found. Anyway, do not hesitate to ask questions or
point out any misses in respect of this matter.

Best regards,
Sergey