qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] GSoC Proposal: ARM Virtualization Extensions
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:51:15 +0000

On 23 March 2015 at 11:29, Merten Sach <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 20/03/15 18:44, Peter Maydell wrote:
>>  * having a project plan that divides the work up into small
>>    but coherent chunks that can be landed upstream incrementally
>>    (to avoid the failure mode of "work all summer but don't
>>    get it finished, and so don't have anything concrete
>>    to show for it at the end")

> what is the policy for incomplete specification implementations?

Basically if it's a correct implementation of a coherent chunk
of the spec (and wouldn't need to be completely rewritten when
the rest is added) than I'm happy to add it to the codebase.
It's much easier to do code review on smaller parts of the
spec at a time (and it means if there are global observations
in code review you can naturally follow them in code you write
in future, rather than having to change a lot of code you've
already written).

Regarding AArch32 vs AArch64, we don't require support for
both to start with, but in general the approach I've found works
best is to at least be aware of the 64-bit spec as you go along,
so that it's clear how the 64-bit parts will fit in when they're
implemented later.

-- PMM