qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support

From: Leon Alrae
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:15:47 +0000

Hi,

On 27/03/2015 17:05, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 27 March 2015 at 16:57, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> On 27 Mar 2015, at 18:22, Christopher Covington <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Here are a few patches preparing for and adding AArch64 Angel
>>> semihosting support.
>>
>> please note that the semihosting support is still incomplete,
>
> Christopher's patchset is just intended to bring 64-bit ARM
> support into line with the 32-bit ARM support, so it's
> orthogonal to any improvements to command line config switches.
>
>> the code to pass the semihosting command line is not in; we
>> discussed a lot about this, I fixed it in my fork (GNU ARM
>> Eclipse QEMU), I prepared some patches, but finally they were
>> not included.
>
> We should pick those back up -- I think we sort of stalled
> because it wasn't clear that you were happy with the double-comma
> thing. It does fit in with the rest of QEMU's (ugly) command
> line syntax, though...

Recently as a part of semihosting support for MIPS, I proposed
introducing separate "-semihosting-arg" option to pass input arguments
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-02/msg05387.html

I'm not entirely sure about the name of this option (it is explicit at
least I think), but basically it makes the life easier. You can pass any
number of arguments without having to care about separators and escape
characters. Wouldn't it help also in this ugly double-commas case?

Thanks,
Leon