qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support

From: Leon Alrae
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] arm: semihosting: Preliminary AArch64 support
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:44:34 +0100

On 27/03/2015 17:33, Liviu Ionescu wrote:

>> On 27 Mar 2015, at 19:15, Leon Alrae <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> ... introducing separate "-semihosting-arg" option to pass input arguments
>
> if we'll ever go for this solution, I would call it "-semihosting-cmdline",
> since it should include the entire command line, starting with argv[0].
>
>> ... but basically it makes the life easier.
>
> this was my opinion too, and my first patches implemented this solution.
>
>> On 27 Mar 2015, at 19:21, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
>> ... The
>> problem with extra ad-hoc top level command line arguments
>> is that they don't fit in with the structure we're trying
>> to impose on new QEMU options, which is that they should
>> have a particular syntax and sit inside option groups
>> (in this case, -semihosting-config).
>
> this is also true, and, although a bit more complicated to use, I implemented
> this solution.

Avoiding top level ad-hoc arguments sounds reasonable. Unfortunately the
QEMU parser doesn't seem to support the same sub-argument used multiple
times (always the last value is used):
-semihosting-config arg="argument 1",arg="argument 2",arg="argument 3"
I may look into it to see how much is missing to make it work.

The reason I chose "arg" is because it naturally translates into argv[]
for the guest program. As far as "cmdline" option goes -- wouldn't "arg"
be more flexible so that you could use it to assemble cmdline?

Leon