qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu devel] disable shared memory is not available wit

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [qemu devel] disable shared memory is not available with this QEMU binary
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:28:55 +0200

Marcel Apfelbaum <address@hidden> writes:

> On 03/31/2015 05:21 PM, Tony Krowiak wrote:
>> Commit 49d2e648e8087d154d8bf8b91f27c8e05e79d5a6 removed the QemuOptDesc
>> elements from the
>> *desc* field of the *qemu_machine_opts *array defined in vl.c.  Since
>> applying that patch to qemu
>> on my system, I can not start a guest from libvirt when certain machine
>> options are configured
>> for the guest domain.  For example, if I configure the following for my
>> guest domain:
>>
>>      <memoryBacking>
>>          <nosharepages>
>>      </memoryBacking>
>>
>> I get the following libvirt error when I try to start the guest:
>>
>>      error: unsupported configuration: disable shared memory is not
>> available with this QEMU binary
>>
>> The *nosharepages *element generates the *-machine* option *mem-merge=off*
>> on the QEMU command line.  The error is
>> thrown by libvirt because the QMP *query-command-line-options* command does
>> not return *mem-merge* in the machine
>> options parameter list.  In fact, if I issue the
>> *query-command-line-options* command via virsh as follows:
>>
>>      virsh qemu-monitor-command guest_c2aa '{ "execute":
>> "query-command-line-options", "arguments": { "option": "machine" } }'
>>
> Hi Tony,
> Thank you for finding this bug.

Sounds like a regression.  If it is, we need to decide what to do about
it urgently.

>> No machine option parameters are returned:
>>
>> {"return":[{"parameters":[],"option":"machine"}],"id":"libvirt-11"}
> Indeed, we have a problem here.
>
> This is the first object for which QemuOps are defined per
> sub-type and are not global (if you don't take "object" under consideration).
> I saw others as well, like netdev, but I am not sure what happens there.
>
> Once the QemuOpts are parsed, the only place we can find those options
> is the machine object itself (as QOM properties).
>
> I see a few options here:
> 1. Add a feature to QemuOpts: "Look for options in QOM properties of this obj"

QemuOpts is an overengineered, self-contained mess.  Let's not make it
an overengineered mess with complex external dependencies.

> 2. Add a callback to QEMU opts that supplies the options (have machine
> supply the callback)

Keeps QemuOpts and QOM more separated than 1, but still adds external
dependencies.

> 3. Have the machine object fill in the corresponding QemuOpts on init.

Monkey-patching QemuOpts desc[] should be workable in principle.

However, to monkey-patch qemu_machine_opts.desc[], we need the machine
object, and to create the machine object, we need to parse machine
options.  Thus, we'll first parse with an empty desc[], then make one up
and monkey-patch it in just for introspection.  Nasty.

"Nasty" may well be what we need to fix the regression at this late
hour.

> Any thoughts?
[...]

Yes, but you may not like them :)

4. Support tagged unions in QemuOpts

QemuOpts supports a single list of typed parameters.  Good enough for
many options.  Certain options, however, additionally take "variant"
paramaters depending on the value of a discriminator parameter.

Example: -tpmdev id=ID,type=T,...

    type=T selects a TPM backend, which defines additional option
    parameters.

    Current solution: qemu_tpmdev_opts.desc[] is empty.  Option parsing
    accepts arbitrary parameters unchecked in addition to the special
    parameter id=ID.  configure_tpm() gets parameter "type", finds the
    backend, then passes the backend's QemuOptsDesc[] to
    qemu_opts_validate() to check parameters.

    How configure_tpm() validates parameters is not visible to
    query-command-line-options, naturally.

Example: -device id=ID,driver=D,bus=B,...

    driver=D selects a device model, which defines additional option
    parameters.

    Current solution: the device model defines QOM properties,
    qemu_device_opts.desc[] is empty.  Option parsing accepts arbitrary
    parameters unchecked in addition to the special parameter id=ID.
    qdev_device_add() gets parameter "driver" and "bus", finds the
    driver, then feeds the remaining option parameters to
    object_property_parse() to check and set them.

    How qdev_device_add() validates parameters is not visible to
    query-command-line-options, naturally.  But libvirt knows what it
    does, and finds the QOM properties elsewhere (QMP command
    device-list-properties).

    Related: QMP command device_add has not been QAPIfied.  We'll get
    back to that in a jiffie.

Example: -netdev id=ID,type=T,...

    type=T selects a net backend, which defines additional option
    parameters.

    Current solution: qemu_netdev_opts.desc[] is empty.  Option parsing
    accepts arbitrary parameters unchecked in addition to the special
    parameter id=ID.  The QAPI schema defines type NetClientOptions as a
    tagged union.  net_client_init() uses OptsVisitor to check
    parameters and create a NetClientOptions object for them.

    How net_client_init() validates parameters is not visible to
    query-command-line-options, naturally.

    We could do better in QMP, but we don't: netdev_add doesn't use
    NetClientOptions, it uses the top type '**', which makes the QMP
    core accept an arbitrary JSON value.  This is then converted to
    QemuOpts and fed to the machinery described above.

    Creating new infrastructure is exciting, converting the first 90% of
    its users proves its worth, converting the other 90% is boring and
    hard, so let's create something new and more exciting instead.

The -netdev example shows that the QAPI schema already has what we need.
QMP gets it for free, because it's based on QAPI (except the parts we
can't be bothered to convert).

We could do the same for command line options.  Would additionally get
us other QAPI goodies, like a saner type system, and (soon)
introspection.

Big job, though.

We could of course hack up QemuOpts some more to make it support tagged
unions all by itself, duplicating selected parts of QAPI.  Very
traditional.

5. Introspect something else

Remember the -device example?  There, query-command-line-options is of
no help, so we find the information somewhere else.

Adding an ad hoc "somewhere else" just for -machine would also be very
traditional.

[...]