qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Static QEMU for Windows

From: Michael Azarkevich
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Cross-Compiling Static QEMU for Windows
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 20:03:01 +0300

Hey,
I've been trying to cross-compile QEMU for Windows on a Debian box (using this[1] guide) and successfully compiled the installer. Next, I wanted to compile a static version of QEMU (like the qemu-user-static package) with the --static flag to the configure script and that also worked - to an extent.
A binary was produced which was nearly 5 times as large (19MB static vs 4MB dynamic) but its PE import table still required the same DLLs as the dynamically linked version.

Has anyone done anything like this in the past or could give me some pointers as to why this would happen?
Thanks.

[1] http://gnuarmeclipse.livius.net/wiki/How_to_build_QEMU