qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] 2.4 tree reopened; post-mortem of 2.3

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: [Qemu-devel] 2.4 tree reopened; post-mortem of 2.3
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:04:22 +0100

Michael has just sent out the email announcing the final 2.3
release, and I've officially reopened git master for 2.4.

If you have any opinions about things we should try to do better
or just differently next release, this is probably a good place
to do that. Personally I have a couple of things:

(1) Timely application of security related patches

We had a couple of CVE-fixing patches which took longer than ideal
to be applied to master. I think we could do better than this,
and probably the solution here is to loop the appropriate submaintainer
and somebody with commit access to master (ie me) on the predisclosure
bit of our security process.

Do we also want to arrange for patches to be committed to stable
branches? It sounds like a good idea to me but I'll leave that up
to those who admin the stable branches.

(2) Late-breaking "this platform/compilation option combo is
completely broken" issues

Notably 32-bit PPC and ARM with latest libseccomp. Can we do
anything to try to surface this sort of thing earlier in the
release cycle, or is it just a fact of life that we have too many
combinations to be able to get to testing them all in time?

thanks
-- PMM