qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH v2 0/3] KVM: Introduce KVM_MEM_UNCACHED

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC/RFT PATCH v2 0/3] KVM: Introduce KVM_MEM_UNCACHED
Date: Thu, 14 May 2015 15:48:25 +0200

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 03:32:10PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:
> On 05/14/15 15:00, Andrew Jones wrote:

> >> Isn't this handled by the OS mapping them in the 'prefetchable'
> >> MMIO window rather than the 'non-prefetchable' one? (QEMU's
> >> generic-PCIe device doesn't yet support the prefetchable window.)
> >
> > I was thinking (with my limited PCI knowledge) the same thing, and
> > was planning on experimenting with that.
>
> This could be supported in UEFI as well, with the following steps:
> - the DTB that QEMU provides UEFI with should advertise such a
>   prefetchable window.
> - The driver in UEFI that parses the DTB should understand that DTB
>   node (well, record type), and store the appropriate base & size into
>   some new dynamic PCDs (= basically, firmware wide global variables;
>   PCD = platform configuration database)
> - The entry point of the host bridge driver would call
>   gDS->AddMemorySpace() twice, separately for the two different windows,
>   with their appropriate caching attributes.
> - The host bridge driver needs to be extended so that TypePMem32
>   requests are not rejected (like now); they should be handled
>   similarly to TypeMem32. Except, the gDS->AllocateMemorySpace() call
>   should allocate from the prefetchable range (determined by the new
>   PCDs above).
> - QEMU's emulated devices should then expose their BARs as prefetchable
>   (so that the above branch would be taken in the host bridge driver).
>
> (Of course, if QEMU intends to emulate PCI devices somewhat
> realistically, then QEMU should claim "non-prefetchable" for BARs that
> would not be prefetchable on physical hardware either, and then the
> hypervisor should accommodate the firmware's UC mapping and say "hey I
> know better, we're virtual in fact", and override the attribute (-> use
> WB instead of UC). With which we'd be back to square one...)
>
> Thanks
> Laszlo

Prefetcheable is unrelated to BAR caching or drivers, it's a way to tell
host bridges they can do limited tweaks to downstream transactions in a
specific range.

Really non-prefetcheable BARs are mostly those where read has
side-effects, which is best avoided. this does not mean it's ok to
reorder transactions or cache them.

--
MST