qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migration network requirements

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migration network requirements
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 00:07:47 +1000

On 05/20/2015 07:21 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
* Alexey Kardashevskiy (address@hidden) wrote:
Hi!

Recent bugreports from our testers at IBM about failed migration across USA
(for example, from NY to TX) made me wonder - what are the actual basic
requirements/expectations for migration?

Oh that's fun.

Was it expected to work? Our intranet is not extremely stable :)

In what network is it normally tested (I use 1Gb/10Gb local network without
routers)?

That's also my main test, but in the end it's just a TCP stream, so lots of
bandwidth,
not that fussy about latency.

Is there any reconnect/restart mechanism if the connection dropped (libvirt,
qemu)?

No; one unbroken TCP connection; if you want some reconnect/restart
then tunnel the TCP oversomething that handles that.

Is there any document describing network requirements (libvirt, qemu)?

Don't think so; libvirt has lots of different modes where it can
tunnel stuff as well, see:
   http://www.libvirt.org/migration.html#transporttunnel

Any ideas are appreciated :) Thanks!

How is it failing?

In libvirt it looks like this (which might be unrelated):
Migration: [ 0 %]error: Timed out during operation: cannot acquire state change lock

or this (which makes sense):
Migration: [  0 %]error: operation failed: Lost connection to destination host

The host kernel network driver can report "BUG: soft lockup" in the network driver. It is from quite old QEMU (2.1-ish) and host kernel though, I just wanted to know $subj and if it really makes sense to spend more time on this.

--
Alexey